Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Will Coach For Food

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Sound familiar? No its not the banner above McAfee Coliseum in Oakland, but if it were it would fit like a glove, for fans and coaches alike.

Here we go again with the Oakland Raiders seasonal Head Coaching search. They've met their obligation of interviewing a minority in the likes of James Lofton, wide-receivers coach of the Chargers. Now it seems they're just buying time to interview an assistant from one of the four teams still competing in the playoffs.

But as a Raiders fan I have to be honest with myself, experienced, successful coaches just aren't interested in coming to Oakland. Why? Could be Al, could be the players, could even be a league office conspiracy. I only wish I knew exactly what goes into negotiating a head coaching contract. Maybe the Raiders aren't willing to spend top dollar to get a top coach. Whatever it is that's turning winning coaches away from the helm of the Silver and Black ship, it doesen't seem to be going away any time soon.

So with that said, maybe defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is the best bet. If he stays on with the Raiders, because I'm sure he's receiving offers elsewhere, it shows his loyalty to the team and commitment to get the Raiders back on the winning track.

Others may want a shot at being a first time head coach, but I believe Ryan just wants to Win Baby! So bring us your fired head coaches, poor college coaches and those huddled masses of assistant coaches yearning the fee of an NFL Head Coaching job.

And if Marty Shottenheimer is brought in for an interview, we know Al has given up the good fight.

No comments: