Saturday, July 29, 2006

Villa San Michele &The Blue Grotto of Capri

I guess the California Heatwave 2006 has left me a bit dazed and confused. For relief I envisioned underwater scenes of cool blue water caverns. During the hot-spell I dreamed of a cool blue place that I read about in a book by Alex Munthe (The Story of San Michele). He built his villa San Michele, with picturesque views, high above the blue sea on the beautiful Italian island of Capri.

Below this high mountain eden is another picturesque view that's as breathtaking as the scenes above. An entrance to a cavern that reflects rays of blue lies along Capri's rocky shoreline.

I learned that the sunlight entering this underwater cavity and shining through the seawater creates a blue reflection that illuminates the cavern. This cavern, named The Blue Grotto, is also an enchanting part of the island with a history dating back to the Roman Era.

Now where would you rather be during a heatwave? Well, get to rowing Raider. Arrrgh!

No comments: