Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sharks Drop a Close One - Streak is Broken


Unable to watch beyond the fumble in the 2002 "Snow Bowl" between the Raiders and Patriots on ESPN Classic Games this evening, I tuned into some NHL Hockey. Why not? The Sharks of San Jose are kicking butt throughout the league. What better time to tune in than a night after the Warriors triple over-time failure against the Sacramento Kings. I was drawn to the Sharks like a blind man to an evangelist, wanting to be "Saved."

I will say this Bay Area Sports fans. The Sharks are definitely the best game in town right about now. If you're looking to be "Saved" from the losing Hell of local sports of late, I strongly recommend having the Sharks exorcise those damned demons and raise up your spirits of hope and salvation.

When I tuned in it was about middle of the second period, a 2-2 tie. Their opponent, the Calgary Flames, were playing like it was a playoff game. I now know that many teams come into the "Shark Tank" and play their best games not only because the Sharks are the team to beat this season, but also because of their record streak of wins in regulation games at home. They haven't lost at the tank in a regulation game since February 2008.

Unfortunately, tonight that changed when a Flames shot was deflected by a Sharks stick and slithered its way into the net for the winning goal. Though the Sharks played gallantly tonight, defending remarkably during "In-The- Penalty" and "Empty Net" situations, their offensive shots just seemed to keep clanging off the Calgary goal posts. I'd swear one of those shots that hit the post crossed over the red goal line and should've been counted as a goal. I was waiting for a coaches challenge and hoping to hear those three suspenseful words; "Upon Further Review." But then again, I'm just learning the game, who am I to question that non-call.

What I liked about the Sharks style of play is their composure under pressure and never-say-die attitude. The guys fought with grit in a game where the tempo seemed off the charts. I was getting winded watching the back and forth play. The pace was really too fast for any brutal fights to break out, not that there were no teeth shattering collisions, there were many. These two teams went at each other like their seasons depended on it. The action was simply Awesome! If this is what regular season NHL play is all about, then I'm not only tuning in more often, I'm buying a Sharks ticket for some Live action soon.

In losing, the San Jose Sharks won a new fan to the game of Hockey. Go Sharks!

Final Score

Flames 3
Sharks 2

No comments: