Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Bullet" Bob Hayes A Hall-Of-Famer

The NFL Hall of Fame committee announced their selections for this year's hall of fame inductees. Of the six inducted, one is from my early football era and was the reason I excelled at wide receiver in football.

#22 for the Dallas Cowboys from 1965-1974 was Bob "Bullet" Hayes. When I first saw him play on television in 1970, I was mesmerized by his quickness and ability to gallop past opposing players. He was as fast as my favorite comic book hero "Flash," with one added bit of attraction: he was Black like me.

I was still kinda new to football in the early 70's. My home team New York Jets, with Joe Namaith, had won the Superbowl a year earlier and everyone was still deifying Broadway Joe. I on the other hand was trying to emulate "Bullet" during street football games. Though I didn't have the bursting speed of "the Bullet," I did have a decent pair of hands, that and a pair of Keds sneakers, allowing me to catch deep passes.

At the time, my cousin was a Washington Redskins fan and he chose Charley Taylor, running back converted to receiver, as his man to emulate. With our football models set at a young age we both went on to have decent pop-warner and high school football careers. I got to wear #22, Bob's number, for one year before they made me change to a split-end number in the 80's numbering range.

Back then I didn't know that Bob Hayes was an Olympic gold medalist. Heck, I didn't know that he was a former sprinter. All I knew about him was that on Sundays he was a deep receiving threat for the Dallas Cowboys and he wore #22. His style of running was unique in that he ran with a sort of limping quick flow that left defenders grasping at empty space where his legs once were. The best quote I read about Bob Hayes is that he wasn't just fast but that he had great football speed. Meaning, he had at least three different speeds (gears) and knew when to use which at the most opportune time.

Many football critics, past and present, have claimed that Bob Hayes didn't put up Hall-of-Fame numbers. That may be so, but we all know that getting into the Hall is not just about numbers. What Bob Hayes did was changed the way defenses played the game. Because of his speed and moves, as well as being able to catch the damn ball, Bob Hayes forced defenses out of man-to-man play and into zones.

Today zone defenses are standard but back in Bob's day everything was geared toward stopping the run. When the "Bullet" came to town, that changed. You can ask any Hall-of-Famer from that era if he remembers having to game plan for one player, many will mention Bob Hayes. While speaking with another great receiver from the 70's, #21 Cliff Branch, I shared my admiration for Bob Hayes. Branch agreed that "Bullet" was one of the great ones and deserved Hall-of-Fame status.

I believe that there are many players deserving of the Hall-of-Fame that are not in yet, including Raiders WR Cliff Branch. But there are not many players throughout the years who brought about a change in the way the game is played. If for no other reason than this, Bob Hayes is deserving of his induction into the Hall today.

As for myself, a biased fan of Bob Hayes who when just hearing the nickname "Bullet" dredges up emotions of childhood street football, today is a glorious day. I am so proud to have chosen as a football model "Bullet" Bob Hayes. He was and always will be a Super Hero among sports legends in my book.

congratulations to all the other 2009 inductees:

No comments: