Sunday, October 24, 2010

Facebook Shows It True Colors: $$$$$

So why would the social networking site Facebook offer an option that allows people to add their friends to a group without the friend having a say in it?

Imagine if your friend added you to a NAMBLA group which represents men who solicit relations with young boys. It actually happened to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg when a friend added him to the NAMBLA group as a way of bringing attention to his concerns of this Facebook feature.

When I left Facebook due to privacy concerns, no I wasn't a group member of NAMBLA, I was concerned over how Facebook utilizes all the personal data it monitors and collects. There didn't seem to be enough checks and balances in their network to make me feel secure. Now something like this exposes even more the "No Opt Out" way of doing business on Facebook's network.

I suggest if you use Facebook to ask yourself the age old question: If someone is giving me something that appears to be free, what is it really costing me to enjoy their so-called free gift? The answer to that question my friend might be something you'd rather not know.

Sfgate
Facebook's groups Help Center confirms that there's simply no way to prevent people from adding you to groups. And the critics say that rather than being added automatically, friends should be given the choice to opt into any groups.

No comments: