Saturday, December 24, 2005

Just couldn't stand to watch the game today


I didn't boycott watching the Raiders game today, I just wasn't feeling it and neither was the team. So I just didn't watch it. The day being Christmas Eve I didn't want Kerry or Norv to ruin my Holiday Spirit. True sports fans understand. On a day when your team loses its as if a close friend has died. You really don't have much good to say to folks, you have a hard time smiling about anything, Kids sense your smouldering presence and avoid you, your woman will try to cheer you up but then decides to go shopping. Even with nothing at stake for your team you still go through this funk for the day. I've learned how to get myself out of the funk and make the rest of the day decent, but the anger of losing is always there in the back of my mind.

That constant nagging of a loss usually effects me in a physical way with my body experiencing subtle twitches, my legs kicking at air and deep groans ending with the word Shit. I'll admit, I act like a spoiled baby who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas. But I see it as just my passion for my team overflowing negatively when they come up short.

So I'm typing this on Christmas Eve and I have nothing but Seasons Greetings and good thoughts flowing through my person. I'm glad that I chose not to watch the humiliating loss against the Broncos as they clinched our division. I did wince once when hearing the final score of the game announced on the radio today, but I experienced no lasting twitching or uncontrolable vocal sounds. Instead of having a humbug day I enjoyed a beautiful sunny California day outdoors and it was wonderful.

So I'll be ready to attend the final game of the season next week at the Coliseum against the NY Giants. Maybe the Raiders will give me my Christmas Gift win next week. Or maybe I'll just have to except the fact that there really is no Santa Claus. Just an Ugly Grinch that likes stealing Christmas from passionate fans such as myself and transforming us into Scrooges for a day if we let him.

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch!

No comments: