Friday, December 16, 2005

Darrell Russell, A Raider, dead at age 29.












Anyone who ever saw him play knew he had the potential to be great and dominate on defense. On the field he was a monster defensive lineman with two pro bowl appearances to his credit. Unfortunately, off the field problems derailed such a promising young career.

I think former Raiders offensive lineman said it best saying about Darrell that, ''He was a big kid like me that had a big heart. He couldn't say no to anybody. That's what had a big deal [to do] with his demise. ... He couldn't let his past go. He always wanted to try to take care and do for other people. It ended up bringing him down.''

I'm sure that come this Sunday the Raiders Organization will have a moment of silence before the game against the Cleveland Browns in memory of Darrell Russell. I'll be there, my head bowed with hat in hand, thinking about what should have been. He'll always be remembered as a Raider.

No comments: