Saturday, December 31, 2005

final score / final game / finally - Raiders 21 Giants 30

No Rain, No Wind, No Win. The Raiderettes didn’t do a halftime jig with wet hair slinging in the night air, and the Raiders went down to a NY Giants team that I feel was only slightly better than us this night. Tiki Barber broke off a long touchdown run and so did Plexico Burress, but other than that we played a tough game against them as we have most of our games this year. Derrick Burgess made his season leading/Team Record Setting 16th sack of the season, but the defense giving up those two big plays early were the goats of this game.

With us not having a running game available, Kerry Collins had what may have been his best passing game tonight. He withstood the defensive pressure of the Giants and threw three touchdown strikes to keep us in the game. I must admit that I’ve been hard on Kerry all season long. Tonight it was evident our offensive line just isn’t that good. They held off the Giants pass rush after making some adjustments but still they couldn’t push the Giants Defensive line enough to run one yard in four tries for a touchdown.

Kerry Collins can be a decent quarterback when given the time to pass and not allowing himself to be rattled by the defense early. Tonight Kerry proved he still has the toughness to stay in the pocket and throw accurate passes given the time to do so. But I feel we need a quarterback who’s a bit more mobile and decisive on his reads. One pass to Moss for a touchdown was so accurate that Moss appeared to be jogging as the ball attached to his fingertips and he continued into the end zone.

Doug Gabriel (one touchdown) and Randy Moss (two touchdowns) both had big games tonight. Jerry Porter caught some key first down passes and made a spectacular catch and run for a first down. Our special teams were awful tonight. It was the first time I’ve seen them look this bad all year. They gave up big returns, one that was more hurtful because Norv Turner had decided on the play before to punt rather than go for it on fourth and one. Granted we were backed up on our own thirty-yard line, but what the hell, we’re 4-11 with nothing to lose. The punt was returned all they way to the Giants three-yard line and it was a matter of seconds before the Giants would score with a run up the middle.

We still had a chance after Moss’s final score made it 31-21 with roughly two minutes to play. But with the ball at their one-yard line we couldn’t punch it in for a score and turned it over on downs. A better coach would’ve come up with a better play than 40-blast (Zack Crockett up the middle) three times and one quarterback sneak. But that’s Norv Turner and that’s why we’re 4-12.

Holiday Spiritual Sharing was in the stands and all fans were joyful regardless of the inevitable loss. Much laughter and hope for next season. Talk of buying tickets for our same seats and discussions of prices for next season were heard throughout. I purchased a classic 2005 New Year’s Eve Beer Mug with battery operated flashing lights of blue/green and red. Dammit if Al Davis didn’t get me for $15 for the mug. I thought it was $7.50 but couldn’t refuse once I had it in my hand. A memento for the season that was 2005.

I did see my good friends Frank and Gia while tailgating. Shared a New Years beer with Frank then headed into the Coliseum as they both wished me a Happy and Safe Holiday. It was such a coincidence when my sister, their friend, Dawn called me early in the game to see if I’d attended and wish me a Happy New Year. She also wanted to remind me of her G-Men being playoff bound. When she asked about Frank and Gia I mentioned I’d run into them while tailgating and they’d wished her a Blessed New Year. All was good.

Tailgating consisted of Ribs from Emil Villa Restaurant in Hayward. Ate all but three ribs out of the rack and with the sweet barbecue beans I was feeling just right for the game. Rain and mud delayed traffic on highway 80 near Fairfield but it didn’t seem to keep fans from those areas away. The stadium probably had less than 40,000 spectators, but as usual it sounded near capacity. Other than a church service I’d attended one New Years with a full choir and orchestra, this had to be one of my favorite New Years experiences. Where else would I, a Raider Fan, rather be on the last day of the year?

I got a bit choked up as I left the coliseum tonight. I took that last look at the field of green with the Raiders Shield in the middle and silver letters painted Oakland and Raiders on black End Zones. The Goal Posts, their familiar canary yellow glistening in the night-lights, red flags barely fluttering in the breeze atop, seemed to wink at me. The Coliseum ushers wishing all a Happy New Year and See You Next Season. A few fire works were seen from the parking lot as a final farewell. Honest, it wasn’t gun fire. And somehow I didn’t feel so bad about the losing season. I felt more a part of a family than a victim of a long war. I felt accepted as a member of a family who were leaving for their adult homes for the year but would return to this, their childhood playground, next season to share those days of yesterday and make new tomorrows with their extended family. The Raider Nation Family.
Win, Lose or Tie - Raider til I Die

No comments: