Sunday, June 22, 2008

Very Funny Scene From 1991 Movie "Life Stinks"



I remember the movie "Life Stinks" as being funny, but I didn't remember it being so funny I'd get a belly ache from laughing so hard. Such was the case last night while watching this Mel Brooks comedy. 

I found myself rewinding scenes and laughing even harder the second time through. If only today's comedies could match this bygone era of slapstick. Though it's not a typical Mel Brooks comedy in the likes of Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles, it gives the funny bone a good work out and leaves you gasping for more. 

The scene I've posted is the one that just tickled me to death. At 3:07 of the clip, a crazed homeless man mimics the irate speaker at the podium believing himself to actually be delivering the threat which is really directed at him. Earlier in the movie this same crazed homeless man (played by Rudy De Luca) believes he's millionaire tycoon J. Paul Getty who just so happens to find himself down and out like our main character, played by Mel Brooks. 

Living in a city where homelessness is rampant, I found this movie to be as relevant today as when it was made back in the Reagan-era 90's. I suppose the movie is a serious comedy that shows us the funny and sad side of rich and poor. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely for those who can laugh on cloudy days.

No comments: