Saturday, June 07, 2008

2008 NHL CHAMPION DETROIT RED WINGS


We must congratulate the Detroit Red Wings Hockey team for winning the Stanley Cup this season. They beat a formidable opponent in the Pittsburgh Penguins. I read today that the Red Wings have won FOUR championships in eleven years. I believe that qualifies them for dynasty status in the NHL.

Myself, I was hoping to see the Philadelphia Flyers get to the championship and win it all. I know nothing about the Flyers, but I bought an orange Flyers cap the other year to wear to Giants baseball games on "Orange Fridays" and I guess the hat has influenced my NHL fandom, sorry Sharks.

I've been traveling a bit lately and didn't get to see much championship Hockey play. But I did see a lot of Don Cherry the colorful hockey commentator for ESPN. Don gets my "Mack Daddy Award" for the year, check him out, flower and all:

Some of his outfits are a bit over the top, something that only a Dion Sanders could pull off in front of the cameras. But you gotta give it to Mack Daddy Don, he's one sharp sum beech. Who else could wear pinstripes and polka dots and not be taken for a clown?

It's a new NHL I tell you.

No comments: