Saturday, February 09, 2008

Monta "OH MY!" Ellis Leads Warriors to Win


I hear they're still trying to come up with a nickname for Golden State Warriors guard/forward Monta Ellis. Look no further please. Since Monta first arrived and began showing hints of basketball stardom I've caught myself whispering the two words that best describe his play.

Tonight, along with the rest of the viewing public I'm sure, I caught myself yelling those same two words both during the Monta finger roll layup play and while watching it again on replay.

Monta has worked on and stepped up his game from a year ago and its only a matter of time before the rest of the league has to take notice. He's young and quick with good floor vision and a solid jump shot. Not to mention that he has defensive skills and leaping ability that has his 6'3 height working for him better than Manute Bol's 7'7in. frame ever did out on the hardwood floor.

So why is everyone finding it so hard to pin a nickname on Monta Ellis. Maybe they're all just trying too hard, after all this isn't the Los Angeles scene where a catchy name can put you into instant celebrity status. This is the Yay Yay where only proof of skill brings about celeb fame and nickname patents.

To be honest I think Monta Ellis has enough game where just the name Monta can evoke thoughts of great plays. But if you must name the budding star, just think of what it was you said when first seeing him fly through the air with the greatest of ease to lay down a dunk or finger roll over a suprised opponent. Remember yet! I remember what my thoughts were both the first time and the last.

"OH MY!"

You'd better get used to it. Because the Monta "OH MY!" Ellis show has arrived in the Bay, and if you miss it you'll only hear those who witnessed the new Warriors legend say: Did You See Monta Ellis last night, "Oh My!"

final score
Warriors 105
Kings 102

Monta had 34 pts, 9 rebounds and 5 assists tonight. "OH MY!"
Shooting 85% from the field in his last two games. "OH MY!"
Did I mention that Monta has unbelievable hangtime? "OH MY!"

No comments: