Sunday, June 09, 2024

Brown-complexioned beauty wins Miss Universe Philippines Pageant

Chelsea Manalo

Forty years ago, America saw color triumph in its annual beauty pageant when Vanessa Williams was crowned the first Miss America of color. Unfortunately, not all of America was ready to embrace the beautiful winner. That was America, 1984.

On May 22, 2024, the Philippines, also a country still marred by a colonial colonizer’s image of beauty, is seeing the light by recognizing a woman of color’s natural beauty.

The beautiful Chelsea Manalo became the first Filipina of African descent to be crowned Miss Universe Philippines. Her mother is Filipina and her biological father African American. There have been Filipina beauty contestant winners with dark-shaded complexions in the past, but none with the Afrocentric features, and none whose parent(s) family-tree links them so closely to Africa


At the coronation night, Manalo advanced to the top five, where she was asked, "You are beautiful and confident. How would you use these qualities to empower others?". She responded:[28]

As a woman of color, I have always faced challenges in my life. I was told that beauty has standards. But for me, I have listened to always believe in my mother, to always believe in myself, and uphold the vows that I have. Because of these, I am already influencing a lot of women who are facing me right now. As a transformational woman, I have here 52 other delegates with me who have helped me to become the woman I am.[28]


The Philippines, with their embracing, family-oriented communities, are united in their support for Chelsea as she moves on to compete internationally in the 73rd Miss Universe Pageant held this year in Mexico. Good luck Chelsea!


Highlights of Chelsea’s Miss Universe Philippines performance



No comments: