Sunday, June 27, 2021

Lay Me Down Easy - For My Brother

This song, which reminds me of my older brother Will, I dedicate to him here today. He, who's courageously unique and unscripted way of grasping life, has influenced me in ways only I could ever understand. To have a living example of a sinner and savior, wrapped up in one loving brother, has been a blessing. For a brother's love can be distilled and reflected in so many ways. 

I was that younger brother disregarding the faults of an elder brother, while only wanting to embrace and challenge life as much as he did. As I grew I realized I could never be him and he could never be me. But as I found my own path I held strongly to lessons learned from him. Most of all I learned through loving others I could love myself, and through loving myself I could love others; reciprocal love.

Now, as older men, we find ourselves still ourselves, arriving by different paths to a destination as worldly and wonderful as life itself. I love life because I Am.

Life Just Is!




While in my city apartment one night quietly reading an inspirational book, I couldn't help but overhear a small sample size of a familiar song being played down below on the city street by a passerby. The music was as rhythmic and soulful as I remembered from the days of hanging out with my brother; and so were the memories, rhythmic and soulful. It took some time, but after frantic online searches and erratic memory lapses I was successful in identifying song and artists. I have heard it said that songs associated with memories of good times can assist in comforting and healing sickly and/or aged individuals. Maybe this is so; for I am neither sickly or aged and yet I feel uplifted and "healed" after listening to this song.

Song: Let Me Down Easy   (an old favorite of my Brother Will's)

Album: Harvest For The World

Artists: The Isley Brothers


No comments: