Saturday, June 13, 2020

Ali’s Attica Protest Poem



When I think of professional sports as a platform for protest in today's Black Lives Matter movement, I'm reminded of historical sports figures who made statements of racial protest in their day; Jesse Owens, Bill Russell, John Carlos and Tommie Smith. Some of these black men, and I'm sure others less famous, were banned and/or blacklisted from competing in their sport ever again, ala Colin Kaepernick.

There was one great African-American sports figure who stood up and protested not only racial inequality and discrimination, but also an unjust war (Vietnam). 

In 1967, Boxing Legend Muhammad Ali had his championship title and professional boxing license stripped after being convicted of draft evasion. He was sentenced to 5 years in jail and  a $10,000.00 fine.  

"On April 23, 1971, the Supreme Court voted to send the world's best known athlete to jail"

We all remember Ali as a natural at creating fun rhymes/raps about his unmatchable boxing prowess and "pretty" looks. His unique lyrical cadence and style were all his own. To this day his saying "Float like a Butterfly Sting like a Bee" is still printed and sold on T-shirts; I happen to own one and wear it proudly. Though he sometimes taunted opponents with poems of domination and victory, almost all understood that it was just Ali having fun and selling the big showdown. 

I recently came across an early Ali interview where he gives a powerful rendition of a poem he penned, inspired by racial injustice and police brutality during the 1971 Attica Prison uprising. Not only does Ali display a mesmerizing ability to recite the lengthy poem from memory, he delivers it with a style and grace not unlike the boxing skills he demonstrated in the ring. 

Ali’s genius and grace transcended the boxing ring, and this poem is proof of that.

‘Better to Die Fighting to be Free’

Better far – from all I see –
To die fighting to be Free
What more fitting end could be?

Better surely than in some bed
Where in broken health I’m led
Lingering until I’m dead

Better than with prayers and pleas
Or in the clutch of some disease
Wasting slowly by degrees

Better than a heart attack
Or some dose of drug I lack
Let me die by being Black

Better far that I should go
Standing here against the foe
Is the sweeter death to know

Better than the bloody stain
On some highway where I’m lain
Torn by flying glass and pane

Better calling death to come
Than to die another dumb,
Muted victim in the slum

Better than of this prison rot
If there’s any choice I’ve got
Kill me here on the spot

Better for my fight to wage
Now while my blood boils with rage
Less it cool with ancient age

Better violent for us to die
Than to Uncle Tom and try
Making peace just to live a lie

Better now that I say my sooth
I’m gonna die demanding Truth
While I’m still akin to youth

Better now than later on
Now that fear of death is gone
Never mind another dawn.

-       Muhammad Ali





10 Athletes who made historic political or social protests

No comments: