Monday, October 02, 2017

Another Moment of Silence (Gun Laws)



Gun Violence....

While listening to sports talk radio last night I was made aware of the mass shooting that took place at an outdoor country music concert in Las Vegas, not far from the proposed new Raiders stadium location.

I immediately turned on the television and saw incredible phone footage of people at the concert running in terror while loud, staccato, popping sounds can be heard. I mean it was Loud!Surprised that anyone could hold a camera phone so steady as shots are being fired all around them, I realized its just a sign of the times. I realized also that the lone gunman taking lives with an assault weapon is just a sign of the laws in our times here in America. 

I know it might not feel like the appropriate time to address the laws still needed to govern access to guns and ammunition, but for those who lost their lives yesterday and their loved ones, the time is way too late. I am not an advocate for a gun free country, I am not knowledgeable of the differences in the various assault rifles and machine guns and such. I am just a law abiding citizen who asks myself every time there's a mass shooting like this, Why and How can we prevent this from happening again. 

It's hard for me to believe that Gun Lobbyists throughout the United States value doing business in guns and ammunition, more than they do the lives of innocent American citizens. Don't they see the footage from these sad incidents? If guns don't kill people, the angry, mentally unstable people with Guns kill people. Or possibly the laws allowing angry and mentally unstable people access to Guns. So what's the common denominator? Guns Kill People!


I am so sorry for those victims and their families who've been affected by this senseless violence. You are all in my prayers. I urge all Americans to research what political persons and/or political groups are upholding not the right to bear arms, but the right to sell arms and ammunition of mass destruction on American soil. Then consider why any politician or any patriotic American would even consider voting against a law that bans such destructive weapons. The fact that Nevada has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the country should not give us reason to write this most recent mass shooting off as just another shooting in a gun friendly state. 

If I have the choice of possibly saving one human life by helping laws to ban automatic weapons get passed, I'd choose to back laws banning those weapons every time. And if I had to come up with a profile of the type of person(s) or groups that would turn down a law that bans the selling of such weapons I'd give these character traits (but keep in mind I'm not an expert profiler):

weapons manufacture owners and their investors and lawyers, business partners with financial interests in the sale of weapons and ammunition, terrorists, anti-Americans, government politicians (campaign donors), war profiteers, weapons special interest groups (lobbyists) paramilitary groups (U.S.).


Here's a "Dear America" letter written after this most recent mass shooting. It is not a feel good letter nor is it a letter of apology or sympathy. It's a wake up call letter for American citizens. I thought the letter a bit harsh and insensitive about violence and mass shootings. I didn't wanna hear or feel the pain and guilt that truth sometimes delivers. But I read it and reluctantly have to agree with it's theme of how crazy to think these kinds of mass shootings will ever stop without laws to ban and/or make it more difficult to obtain such weapons. The author is foreign.

Dear America: The Las Vegas shooting was not a tragedy; it's a sickness.
by British Journalist Susie Boniface aka Fleet Street Fox


No comments: