Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today I came across the perfect book for my 11 year-old grandson. I'm so proud that he enjoys reading books when not on his playstation3. At first I wasn't sure of the book's appropriateness for adolescents. This book, The Enemy by Charlie Higson, has in it the one fictional topic my grandson and I share an interest in; Zombies.

Mind you, my grandson is no ordinary 11 year-old. We haven't tested him, but we're sure his IQ (Intelligence Quotient) borders on "Super Genius." Just the other day over the phone he was running off the various elements and their compositions from the scientific Periodic Table. Remember that in school? Vaguely? Me too!

So I figure a kid who loves reading about chemicals as well as classic novels like Robinson Crusoe and Tom Sawyer, has earned the right to indulge in a little blood and gore literature wouldn't you say?

"The Enemy," from what I surmised from its beginning pages, seems to be a futuristic kid survival story with all the gags and one liners to make any adolescent chuckle. I'd forgotten just how funny the word fart in a sentence can be. The fact that the kids are battling flesh craving blood thirsty adults makes the book that much more appealing to younger readers.

The book might be a bit gory, but with what kids see today on television and in movies, he can handle it. I only wish I weren't reading other books so that I could enjoy "The Enemy" for myself before passing it on. Oh well, I guess it'll give me something to quiz my little Einstein about once he finishes it. I just pray he doesn't get the idea in his head to create such a destructive disease in his school's science lab.

Here's a great Youtube clip introducing you to the book's storyline. After seeing this clip I really considered keeping the book for myself:



They’ll chase you.
They’ll rip you open.
They’ll feed on you  . . .

When the sickness came, every parent, policeman, politician - every adult fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry.

Only children under fourteen remain, and they’re fighting to survive.

Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begin their quest across London, where all through the city - down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground - the grown-ups lie in wait.

But can they make it there - alive?

WARNING: Contains strong language and scenes of violence

No comments: