Friday, November 28, 2008

SF Turkey Bowl: Lincoln Defeats Washington


A Dynastic day for Lincoln High School's football team as they win their Fourth San Francisco Turkey Bowl in a row, historic.

I arrived at the game a few minutes into the first quarter and found that Washington had already scored and was leading 7-0. The long ticket and hotdog lines had worn me out and I mistakenly sat on the Lincoln side thinking it was Washington for some reason. I could've sworn Lincoln uniforms were white with red helmets and lettering.

It was half-time before I realized I was rooting for the Lincoln Mustangs and not the Washington Eagles as I'd planned. With my losing record at Turkey Bowl games I felt either I'd jinx the favored Mustangs into a loss or I'd enjoy my first win ever. I decided to stay the course with Lincoln.

And so it was that with 1:33 remaining in the first half and the Washington Eagles taking a 14-12 lead, that a little guy from Lincoln High would pull out the play of the game. Devon Marman, little brother to senior standout Deshon Marman with two touchdowns on the day, returned a kickoff 92-yards for a touchdown and the Mustangs would leave the Eagles gasping in their dust. The kick return was a momentum changer if ever there was one, and both teams sensed it.

The Washington Eagles would not give up the fight though and played a very aggressive second half, but so did the Mustangs. Lincoln caused at least two turnovers in the second half, one interception returned for a touchdown, and last years Champions had pulled off a Four-Peat in their championship victory.

Congrats Lincoln Mustangs for committing to achieving a SF Section Championship again


Lincoln players toss their principal, Ronald Pang, in celebration. Lincoln High defeated Washington High in the annual Academic Athletic Association SF championship game 36-14 at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco. (Lance Iversen / The Chronicle)

No comments: