Monday, July 21, 2008

Negro League Baseball Sportscaster Passes


Honestly, I've never heard of the man. Never even thought there was anyone announcing negro league baseball games over the radio. Guess I should've asked my dad or uncles about it. They remember the negro league games and those associated with it. Supposedly, one of my great uncles played for a Jersey team.

In either case, its never too late to honor a man who had what all of us sports fanatics have in our blood; a passionate love for the game, whatever that game may be. Sherman L. Maxwell, announced negro league baseball games over the radio beginning in 1929. He wasn't paid any money for doing what he did. He kept box scores of games he witnessed and intervied players after games.

When he visited the National Basebal Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. in 2001, he told the Star Ledger then that "I never had a nicer day in my whole life - and I'm 93, so that's saying something." Hats off to Major League Baseball for recognizing the negro leagues and bringing back wonderful memories of negro baseball to a centenarian.


If only someone from ESPN, like a Bob Costas, had interviewed this man and picked his brain about the legends of negro baseball. Though the Newark Eagles out of Jersey whom he followed were no negro league powerhouse, I'm sure they played some of the best and Mr. Maxwell was most likely there, calling the game. Imagine, someone who can tell you about Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, manager Rube Foster and the list goes on. I hope to find out more about this pioneer of sports and fellow fan of the game.

Sherman Maxwell
1907-2007
"He Announced For The Love Of The Game"

No comments: