Monday, July 16, 2007

Dog Gone Wild!


According to the AKC, the perfect boxer's appearance should be:

..a medium-sized, square-built dog of good substance with short back, strong limbs, and short, tight-fitting coat. His well-developed muscles are clean, hard, and appear smooth under taut skin. His movements denote energy. The gait is firm yet elastic, the stride free and ground-covering, the carriage proud. Developed to serve as guard, working, and companion dog, he combines strength and agility with elegance and style. His expression is alert and his temperament steadfast and tractable.

Sooooooo, why was I and my partner unexpectedly attacked by this so-called "great family dog?"

Lucky for me, I froze like a mummy as the Boxer came charging from twenty-five feet or so away. I nor his owner had any warning of his instantaneous and unprovoked agression. Even after the attack the owner and those present that know the Boxer couldn't explain why he decided to bolt towards me full speed, come to a halt at my feet, then bolt the opposite direction and chomp down on my partner's ankle like it was a tasty snack. I can still hear those infamous yet all familiar words; "I don't know what got into him, he's never done that before."

Prior to my searching the web for Boxer Breed innuendo, my running theory was that some type of scent triggered a bad reaction in the dog, possibly a scent from another dog or a cat on me or my partner. We ruled out the other theory of my darker skin color triggering the reaction, since he came to an abrupt halt at my feet, sniffed my ankle area, then ran back the way he came to lunge at and bite down on my partner's ankle. Color was only considered after realizing that I was the only person of color in the building.

We all found it odd that the Boxer's initial charge took him right past his eventual victim, my partner. Think about it, why would an attacking dog pass up a nearer chunkier target (sorry partner), charge at a darker thinner plate of meat (that be me), stop just as he's ready to take a hearty taste, sniff around then go back for the chunky light meat and take a bite? If it were a human I'd understand. Greed. But this is a Boxer, an intelligent and proud companion of a dog. And no I do not suffer from athlete's feet or any smelly foot condition.

Upon researching this Brachycephalic breed of canine I found out something that the owner's must be ignorant of; Boxer's are very territorial guard dogs. It's strongly advised that a Boxer's owner "INTRODUCE" him to any person(s) entering their territory. Guess my partner and I we're just lambs being led to the slaughter. The Boxer didn't know we were there to work on the phone system, he probably figured it was a test of his guard dog skillz. He definitely passed the test.

It didn't help that a smaller chihuhuahua was cheerleading on the sidelines while the Boxer was tearing into his prey. After the attack an old German Shepherd strolled out of an office as if to see what the commotion was that woke him up from his late afternoon nap. I don't think he had the strength to even bark. Looked like Rin Tin Tin had come out of retirement only to find that he didn't have it in him anymore.

I did comment, after seeing my partner was okay, that Dog owner's are always giving that infamous line; "He's never done that before." I told them all that's why I became a damn cat lover. You'll never see a cat charge out from under a desk, bearing down on you with dark beedy eyes looking to rip you to shreds with his large incisors. Even if a cat did loose it like that, so what, he's a damn cat, grab his tail and sling him out the third floor window for chrissakes.

So with the end of yet another day of learning about life, I leave you with these canine rules of wisdom. Anytime you enter a room where there's a dog that you've never met, immediately turn to the owner and ask if you can be introduced to "The Boxer." And if the owner says wait a second while I go get the muzzle and leash, don't stand there like you've never heard of Cujo, find the nearest exit and immediately leave the premises.

No comments: