Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Norv Gone! Could Mike Singletary bring the passion back?


I suppose today is a day of celebration for us Raider fans. Al Davis axed Norv Turner and immediately the bay area rains ceased and the sunshine illuminated future hopes and possibilities.

Back in August of 2005, two sports betting sites picked Norv Turner as the NFL Head Coach most likely to be fired first. A third betting site (sharpjuice.com) had Mike Tice as the first to go. In hindsight, not bad forcasting. I wonder what their picks are for the next Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders?

I read today that Al Davis, along with the rest of us Raider fans, missed the "Passion" of a Chucky or Madden as head coach. So who out there could possibly bring that back to a team that's looked unenthuased and passionless the past three seasons?

I don't know about other Raider fans, but my pick is definitely Mike Singletary. Don't ask me to justify my decision because I can't. Singletary has only one year as an assistant defensive coach with the 49ers and two years as linebackers coach with Baltimore. I'd like to have Singletary as an Assistant Coach of some type but the word is he wants a Head Coaching job. The Detroit Lions are talking with him as I write this. I think Singletary would be a perfect fit with the Raiders.

Visions of Singletary, eyes wide and focused, jaw squared and firm, getting in the face of his players and ordering them to dominate their opponent. Heck, seeing Singletary coaching the Raiders would make me hop up off the couch,strap on some cleats and pads ready to go play defense on Sunday. Sure I'd sacrafice my couch potato position to go out and become a Raiders soldier under the command of Mike Singletary, wouldn't you? Singletary brings that kind of passion and command to football. I remember someone calling him the "Black Butkus" back in his playing days with the Chicago Bears. What the hell, bring a little Butkus to the Raiders, we need that toughness back.

My choice for Mike Singletary as Head Coach of the 2006 Oakland Raiders is definitely a passionate choice. But as Al Davis has stated:

"We want to win. The Raider fans deserve it. The Raider players deserve it. My passion, my drive, is to see that we have that commitment, and that we get it done."

I believe Mike Singletary can and will get it done if made the coach of the Siver and Black.

No comments: