After watching various shows about the Lindsay Clancy case, I determined there was no motive for why a mother of three children would murder her kids. I believe the defense and/or prosecution also voiced no motive was found. This doesn't mean there was no motive but that no evidence could be presented as a motive. This usually favors the defense, except in this case both sides agree the mother murdered her kids. It is the mental state of the accused mother that is on trial.
After taking it all in and hearing additional evidence I hadn't heard earlier, I do believe at the time of the murders Lindsay Clancy knew what she was doing. I feel she struggled with coming to the conclusion of having to take the lives of her three little ones but somehow was able to justify it in order to successfully follow through with at least part of the plan.
It is the "somehow" which I feel gives us a peek into the motive for why she did what she did to her children.
I believe if a mother has determined to commit suicide her biggest roadblock/burden is having to leave her children behind. Not knowing what will happen to her children after she is dead, and having no say whatsoever in the fate of their lives afterward would weigh heavily on any mother who has to leave her young children due to any circumstances. And if mental illness, depression or a fatal illness has befallen a mother, what more concern for her than the care for her young children (5yrs, 3yrs, 8mos) after she is gone. A mentally stable mother might look to female family or close friends to ensure the safety and upbringing of her children. A loving father, who did exist in this case, might lack in nurturing and loving.
In the case of Mrs. Lindsay Clancy, we know she was being treated for mental illness and depression. What was never given as evidence was her motive for wanting to kill herself, if there is such a thing for suicidal thoughts. Perhaps it was mentioned in the trial, but I don't remember hearing it. It seems clear that for whatever reason(s) she came to the conclusion to end her own life, the lives of her children weighed heavily on her decision.
In coming to that conclusion, she was faced with the dilemma of leaving her children behind to face a life without a mother's nurturing love. I do believe she loved her children as much as any mother could, and in her depressed, mental state she chose the only place she thought they'd be safe and possibly with her to watch over them was in death.
It seems the prosecution and defense were more focused on accusing and defending the medical professions and pharmaceutical prescriptions used to treat her condition, than determining what led Lindsay to want to commit suicide. I believe once Lindsay decided to kill herself, as a mother she calculated it was best for her children to die along with her.
In other words, Lindsay chose first to kill herself, and the killing of her children was an afterthought.
I believe the Lindsay Clancy Case was a botched murder-suicide. A case where a loving mother chose what she thought/felt best for her children once she decided to end her own life. And in some mentally/emotionally challenged way of thinking/feeling, it would take the love of a mother to understand the fear and hurt of leaving her children behind forever. So much fear and hurt that she may not have been able to go through with her own suicide while her little ones were still alive. A painful tragedy to envision, and much more painful as a mother who lived through it all.
Prayers go out to the Clancy Family. Tears in Heaven Await us All!
No comments:
Post a Comment