Saturday, July 16, 2022

SF Giants Wild 9th Inning Walk-Off HR

 

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - JULY 15: Mike Yastrzemski #5 of the San Francisco Giants celebrates with teammates after hitting a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning against the Milwaukee Brewers at Oracle Park on July 15, 2022 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)

Lachlan Cunningham / Getty Images


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”


― Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities


Yes, Giants baseball fans, it was the best of times on this Orange Friday night. For those who stayed tuned in at home, you got to see a ninth inning rally where the Giants, down 5-2, scored a historic six runs, including a grand slam. Unfortunately, I was one of the fans starting to see a "season of darkness and despair" for our Giants. I'd tuned-out after watching the Giants, yet again, struggle to get a hit, especially with men on base. So, I was just as surprised as any to check the final score before calling it a night, to see an improbable 8-3 Giants victory. 

What was I thinking? I'd slipped into a Charles Dickens 'age of foolishness.' In my Giants frustration I had tuned in to some "Best of Twilight Zone" YouTube videos and completely zoned-out from baseball. 


I think it was after a clip from the episode "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" where the diner clerk reveals his third eye to the guy from Venus, that I went looking for a Giants game score and got the shock of the season. Ironically, I was returning to what TZ host Rod Sterling so poetically coined, "a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.

Watching the entire Giants team and staff celebrating outfielder Mike Yastrzemski's walk-off grand slam home run, brought back scenes and memories of those unforgettable wins leading to World Series Championships in 2010, 2012, and 2014. 

For the next thirty minutes or so, I'd taken 'a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead -- your next stop, the Twilight Zone.'  

Yes, my fellow Giants fans, I had been transported back to a time of team euphoria, with Journey's 'Don't Stop Believe 'in' blaring from the television. It was the Best of Times!

Final Score

Brewers 5
Giants 8


No comments: