Friday, December 24, 2021

Rabindranath Tagore - Enlightenment

 



As I first read this fearless poem by Rabindranath Tagore, I was under the impression it applied to an individual soul. After contemplating the last line, "let my country awake," I realized it was a plea for a nation, Tagore's nation. It was during the third reading that I saw the genius and truth in its message:

conquer his/her fears, 

hold her/his head high, 

share knowledge freely,

not break into fragmented, isolated opinions,

let the deepest truth guide his/her words,

continue tirelessly to strive towards perfection,

keep a clear, reasonable head and not get lost in dry, dead habit,

allow his/her God to lead him/her forward into broader thought and action,

into this Heaven of freedom,

My God,

let me awake.


As I see it, a nation is only as strong, healthy and fearless as the individual(s) who make it a nation. Therefore, let a nation's individuals, by God's Grace, become mentally fearless and let their thoughts and actions be truthfully led by higher principles of self. 

For a nation full of strong, healthy and mentally fearless individuals will not bow down to deranged and cowardly thoughts and actions. It holds its head high and tirelessly stretches its arms toward perfection, knowing the depth of its truths and freedoms come from a higher power.

Into this "Heaven of freedom," I pray to God, "let my country awaken."




No comments: