Sunday, December 02, 2018

Raiders Show Up Against Chiefs



No, the silver and black didn't upset the division leading Kansas City Chiefs today. But, and that's a big Butt, they put some serious doubt into the Chiefs reputation as an unstoppable juggernaut. With the Chiefs releasing their rushing leader due to a damaging TMZ released video this week, all eyes were watching to see if it had any impact on the teams' on-field execution. Well, they still scored 40 points, so I guess not.

What did impact the Chiefs play today were the feisty homefield (2-9) Raiders bringing their A-game to the show. On paper the team stats are almost even, but for that glaring turnover box. The Raiders had 3 fumbles that left them fighting an uphill battle most of the day. None by the QB, which is an improvement. As good as Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is, the Raiders helped them win today. But I ain't mad at my Raiders. They competed and gave us fans watching from the cool, autumn windy Coliseum seats something to cheer about; 33 points. The defense broke a few times but also had some dominant stops.

The game today was one of the best I've seen the Raiders play in quite some time. I was skeptical of some of the play calling but understood that Carr's compromised pocket protection dictated him getting rid of the ball quick. 

Special teams blocked an extra point attempt today, Hooray!

As I realized this could be one of the final three Raiders games I'll see at the Oakland Coliseum, I felt a ping of emotional nostalgia bubble up in me for a second. I was able to swallow it down and shout out my curses like the sour-mouth sailor we silver and black pirates are known to be when watching our Raiders. It felt really good to release all that pent up "leaving Oakland" stuff. What's the word I learned, "Cathartic" (purging, purifying).

Yes, today Raiders game was Carthartic. That's what keeps us sports fans coming back for more; win, lose or tie...……. 

Final Score
Chiefs 40
Raiders 33

No comments: