Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Baseball Team, My Football Team

Two sports, two teams, opposite outcomes, one goal. Just Win Baby!

Yesterday I attended my first Raiders football game of the season. Granted it was an exhibition game, but I still found the silver & black performance on our home field appalling and as coach cable summarized, "embarrassing." The New Orleans Saints came to Oaktown and made their 44-7 drumming of the Raiders look easy. I refuse to begin my first blog of the Raiders football season in a critically demoralizing way, so I'll settle with stating the obvious; my Oakland Raiders do not appear to have improved this season and just may have regressed substantially.

Meanwhile, my San Francisco Giants have risen from the dying with a three game series sweep of the wild card leading Colorado Rockies. Today's game was one for the Giants scrapbook. Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the 7th with a struggling offense the Giants managed to rally and load the bases. Up comes Edgar Renteria who takes the Giants gloomy outlook and spins it on its head. Renteria hits a grand slam off Rockies pitcher Rafael Betancourt to put the Gigantes ahead 6-5. Fresno call-up Ryan Rohlinger would add a two run single in the eighth to help secure the 9-5 Gigantes victory and tie the Rockies for the NL Wild Card spot.

September for the SF Giants will be full of excitement for the first time in years. My only wish is that the moxy displayed by these 2009 Gigantes will rub off on my Oakland Raiders across the bay. As they say in geology, Time and Pressure will mold tomorrow's landscape. "TIME & PRESSURE."

No comments: