Thursday, April 06, 2006

I Hate L.A. Teams


I truly enjoy watching teams from L.A. lose. I know it's not very christian-like of me to wish ill-will on my brothers from down-state, but when it comes to sports I can't find a single good thing to say about or root for out of L.A.. As a matter of fact, I revel in cheering for any opponent that so happens to be playing against an L.A. team.

I cheered for the Texas Longhorns to defeat the USC football team in the Rose Bowl and Vince Young delivered the most beautiful knockout punch to Leinart and Bush. In front of the entire sporting world on a stage set in L.A. no less.

I cheered for every NCAA team that UCLA faced in the march madness basketball tournament and finally the Florida Gators beat them down in the championship game, winning with a defensive style that UCLA employed against opponents throughout the tournament. Again, a loss I enjoyed all the more because all the world of sports was watching. Gator-Meat, Gator-Meat.

And though L.A. has some of the hottest babes, I cheered when I heard the Purdue Women's basketball team beat the UCLA team in round 2 of the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament. Hell, if they ain't the Laker Girls, then they can be gator-meat, boilermaker meat or any other meat their opponent desires.

Add Dodger Blue to my list of undesireables. Dodgers lost 8-9 yesterday to the ATL Braves and I cheered not only the loss but the heartbreak they endured when after trailing 5-8 for four innings they came back with three runs to tie it in the seventh, only to allow the Braves a game winning run in the eighth inning. Braves Win! The Braaaves Win! Yes. Add to the loss inuries to Olmedo Saenz and Jeff Kent and Dodger Blue is looking powder puff blue these days. Nomar Garciaparra and Kenny Lofton were already on the disabled list. But wait there's more, announced today was elbow-surgery for that most hated and feared of closers, Eric ("The Beast") Gagne. Should we put a fork in them now or wait until after the Giants have had their way with'em? Sorry, there's no crying in Baseball Dodger fans.

I've hated the L.A./Anaheim Angels even before their listing as LAA on the scoreboard. I'm not even an A.L. fan, but I'll boo any Angels team just the same. Who were they to beat my Giants in the 2002 World Series? If Barry and the Giants had won that World Series fans today would be bowing down to Barry instead of throwing toy syringes at him in left field.

Hockey? Not much of a fan but I'll take our San Jose Sharks over the L.A. Kings anyday. Ever seen the Kings uniforms? Looks just like the Sacramento Kings Basketball emblems on them. Wonder who stole who's idea. And any city that names their team Ducks, such as Anaheim, ought to be pucked to death. I don't care how mighty they claim to be. Sorry Oregon U.

This past weekend while hanging out in Las Vegas I cheered on the Las Vegas Gladiators of the Arena Football League as they whupped up on the Los Angeles Avengers 63-49. The Avengers record is 3-7, below the 4-6 San Jose Sabercats.

And as I sit here typing this L.A. hater confession the Denver Nuggets are going into the locker room at half-time ahead of the Lakers, 58-49. Denver was leading by 16 points when I started this soul emptying admission and I'll continue cheering the Nuggets on to victory in the second half. Carmelo Anthony has made some moves that convince me he'll be a force in the NBA for some time. Kobe has a great game, but Carmelo runs a great game, there is a difference, most notably, teamwork.

So on a day when I receive news that my Raiders will play four prime-time games, though only one will be at home, I'm satisfied. Actually, I can't wait for football-less L.A. to get a NFL team so I can start hating them also...Again.

But I must admit, there is one team that you might catch me quietly urging on toward winning this season. It's the team that L.A. loves to hate. They've treated this team like a red-headed stepchild ever since they arrived on their doorstep in 1984 from San Diego . This team has never been anything more than a doormat for their big brother team who reluctantly shares the same playing court with them. This could be the year that this Rodney Dangerfield of L.A. finally gets some respect at home. If not respect then maybe redemption for enduring the insults and injuries inflicted upon them by that good for nothing fan base in SoCal. Jim Rome won't have them to kick around during the playoffs. I'm talking about those long-time cellardwellers of the NBA Western Conference. The Clippers. What could be better than watching the Clippers sweep the Lakers in a NBA playoff series? It could happen, and I'd be glued to the television rooting for those SoCal Clippers. Clip it Baby, Clip it!

So, back to reality and the present. Fifteen minutes left to play with the Denver Nuggets leading the L.A. Lakers 76-66. A black cloud seems to be hovering over the sporting world of L.A. and it ain't the usual fuel emmissions this time. Maybe the curse of the bambino has found a new home since being exorcised from Boston, or is it possible that the walkman wearing Steve Bartman of Chicago Cubs Lore has transplanted to L.A. via the FBI Witness Protection Program? Whatever the reasons, the usual winning teams of L.A. just ain't what they used to be and I'm crying crocodile tears of joy watching them lose.

Oh wait a minute. What is that rumbling rallying cry I hear coming out of my television set?

B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A. B-E-A-T L.A.

Sports Update

Final Score OT
Denver Nuggets 110
L.A. Lakers 108

No comments: