Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Fix Wins



"Professional sports in America: it’s all about fair play and the goal of winning championships. At least that’s the spin. But could it be a massive showbiz operation filled with greedy owners, crooked referees, and coddled players, all with the unstated goal of grabbing as much money as possible?"


The above paragraph is the opening to the book description of 'The Fix Is In' on Amazon.com.  After a weekend of questionable sports outcomes highlighted by the Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley Fix.....I mean fight, this book is on my "wish list."


As I and many other viewers of the pay-per-view Pacquiao vs Bradley fight were prematurely texting to friends about Pacquiao's dominant win, I overheard the ring announcement of a "Split Decision."  I continue texting thinking maybe one of the judge's felt obligated to vote for Bradley because of the gallant effort he gave in defeat.


Mind you, I'm no Speedy Gonzales when it comes to texting, so just as I'm finishing up and ready to send my text I hear the final judge's score of 115-113 followed by these unbelievable words:  AND NEW ....................


The packed room of Pacquaio fans goes silent with disbelief. I'm standing, cell phone in hand, mouth open as wide as a sea bass fish caught on the end of a hook.  I see the one other Bradley fan coming toward me to discreetly give a low high five and I respond dreamlike in a trance.  Here's what my text looked like:


"Bradley had the heart, not the power, Pacquiao.....Wait! Bradley?"


My sports fan sister who received my edited text fills me in on Teddy Atlas (Video on ESPN no longer available) ripping the judges for incompetence or corruption on ESPN.  She then reminds me of the other questionable sports events of the day:


French Open          (tennis)
Belmont Stakes      (horse racing)
Yankees                 (baseball)
Heat                       (basketball)
NJ Devils               (hockey)


How ironic that challenger Timothy Bradley had predicted before the fight that as champion he'd give Manny Pacquaio a rematch come Nov. 10, 2012.  Well, the prophesy just might get fulfixed....I mean fulfilled.




ESPNUK: Rafael on Pacquiao's Loss



No comments: